THE KNOLL
 
BEVERLY HILLS
HOLMBY HILLS
BEL AIR
LAND
MAP
 
In the early 1900s the Hamel & Denker Ranch covered the area known today as Beverly Hills. Mexican ranch hands lived on the land, farming and enjoying life. The name of the original Spanish land grant including Beverly Hills was El Rancho Rodeo de las Aguas, or “the Ranch of the gathering waters.” It was 1905 when Edward Lawrence Doheny Sr. discovered oil nearby and several oil operators took options on the Hamel & Denker Ranch in hopes of finding oil below the bean fields that covered Beverly Hills. All the wells turned up dry though.

By 1906, Charles Canfield, Burton Green and Max Whittier formed the real estate syndicate, The Rodeo Land & Water Company. Shortly after, they took title to the Hammel & Denker Ranch. Rodeo Land & Water hired landscape architect and community planner, Wilbur David Cook, Jr. who proposed a master plan for the community. Before the end of the year, the Rodeo Land & Water Company had also started five model houses above Santa Monica Blvd., including one which still stands at 515 North Canon Drive. Different trees were planted on each street. On October 22, 1906, Beverly Hills was formally opened and Rodeo Land & Water started selling off lots. Lots started at $900. The city took the name Beverly Hills because Burton Green, who was a great admirer of William Howard Taft, learned that the President had recently visited Beverly Farms, Massachusetts.



The Beverly Hills Hotel was erected in 1911 to promote the city, and slowly new developers trickled in. By 1920, Beverly Hills’ population was at less than 650, a substantial increase from 250 in 1914. When Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford moved into Pickfair though, Beverly Hills replaced Hollywood as the address to live in. By 1930, Beverly Hills’ population rose to almost 17,500 people. Residents now included Harold Lloyd, Charlie Chaplin, Tom Mix and Buster Keaton to name a few.

In Beverly Hills, JBN has made five benchmark sales: JBN sold the first house for $5,000,000. This property is located at 1506 Lexington. In 1982, JBN sold Barbara and Marvin Davis “The Knoll.” It previously belonged to Kenny Rogers. JBN sold the house for $20,250,000. This was the first house ever sold for over $20,000,000. JBN also sold 450 Martin Lane, still the highest sale in Trousdale Estates. JBN sold the first house in the “flats” of Beverly Hills for over $5,000,000. The property is located at 807 North Elm. JBN also sold the highest priced condo in Beverly Hills.